Tuesday, July 13, 2010

When in doubt just add beer!

I have been polling the crowd lately in order to find out what flavors I should try now that I have mastered the basics. I have gotten tiramisu, something with fruit, and (from my husband) beer. So I have some ideas brewing, no pun intended! :) I have formulated a game plan for tiramisu and I'm pretty excited about it! More on that later! I am open to suggestions in regards to fruit... in the cake, filling for the cake, swirl of preserves in the batter, in the frosting, on top of the frosting???!!! Maybe I am thinking to much into it! Anyways! Back to the beer! I have stocked my pantry with the essentials to turn out the basics in a jiff. So I have cupcake essentials and beer, I jump online to find out how I go about putting beer in cake batter. This was very little help! So I take a swig and follow my instincts! I merely replace the milk with a hearty pour of Left Hand Brewing Company Milk Stout! A dessert beer of sorts my husband discovered at a local German restaurant. I started by only baking six cakes! If the whole event went south I wanted it to be a half disaster in my oven, not a whole disaster! Low and behold, a disaster was not the result!! They were beautiful! I did make sure not to fill them as full as I usually do. I had a feeling they would rise pretty well! So the batter I concocted produced about 36 cakes, so I am glad they are delicious! Had they been scary and terrible, it would have been such a waste! I am not sure what I thought they would taste like, but they taste like chocolate. They are very moist, but the cake is light and becomes very velvety in texture when combined with the frosting! I call Jill and get her advice. It is a beer cupcake, but it doesn't taste like beer! What to do? Put beer in the frosting! Yeah! Why not? I continue my theme! Chocolate Stout... So I make up a batch of chocolate butter cream and while I am adding confectioners sugar, I start to pour in about 1/4 cup of stout! This was a good plan!! So the frosting doesn't take on a beer flavor, but the flavor of the beer does add a nice depth to the taste of the frosting!! All this experimenting has made me fearless!! Fruit! I fear you no longer!! Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment