Thursday, July 15, 2010

Holy CupCAKE Batman!!

Tonight I conquered more than just cake, I conquered fear! When you are starting a business, if a potential customer makes a request, it becomes very difficult to turn them down. So Jill and I do not turn anything down! We are two fearless women in fancy aprons and we will bake anything you want! Jill calls me this afternoon and says that it was requested that she bake a cake. A cake I ask?! I don't want to bake cake! I want to bake cupcakes! Cupcakes are safe, cute and by george I like them! No cake!! Well, I have learned that a challenge just makes me more arrogant, so I brainstorm. Cupcake A Sugar Boutique wants to be world renowned for cupcakes. How do I bake a cake and still leave a cupcake impact? It hits me!! Make a cupcake cake! But not that stupid giant cupcake mold! A cake that is a vessel for my fabulous cupcakes! I am not going to take all the credit. Does anyone watch Cake Boss? It is a very entertaining reality type show on TLC about a bunch of Italians running a family bakery in Jersey! Buddy the aforementioned Cake Boss makes a cream puff cake that his father was famous for. What I like about this idea is that it is not about the cake, it is about the cream puffs. Hence, my cake creation is not about the cake, it is about the cupcakes! The evening started out a little rocky! My mother-in-law requested a flavor that was tropical in nature. I decide to approach a pina colada idea. I folded pineapple and coconut into the white velvet batter. Oh, and I didn't have buttermilk so I used whole milk. The batter has a less mousse like texture but I press on! As they baked, the cupcakes looked a little different. They didn't rise as much as usual and they were a bit heavy looking. Hello! All the coconut I added would throw some oil into the mix once heated! Once they cooled, all seemed well. They are heavier, but when making cake too light is the enemy! The flavors of the coconut and pineapple are very subtle. Next time, less butter and some pineapple juice! I am also thinking about adding some pineapple rum to the frosting!! It could be fun!! :) I would have to say, other than the cake being just a pinch lopsided, I am confident that we bake and frost anything we put our minds too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment